7.03.2002

durn painters

i've a habit of checking my e-mail when i get back to my office after being out. i went to pick up the finished letterhead and envelope for the company's tobacco stores. (the finished product looked good.)
i found this in my inbox from a fan named andrew:

"Hey...2 summers ago i saw your comics drawn on the wall at the
accademia in florence, i went back this year, and they painted over everything,
sorry to tell you :( "

i'm sorry, too, andrew.
i was worried that someone would deface it more than it being painted over.

the accedemia is where michelangelo's famous statue of david is housed. the line gets long as the tourist season gets into full swing.
i drew a sketch of me looking ahead and commenting on the long line along with three panels featuring amelia and odile waiting in the accedemia line and falling asleep due to it being so slow. i also drew a cartoony portrait of fellow student, leia la rue.
i did it mostly for fun and to pass time. people seemed to like the comics because i got e-mails from people who visited the accedemia and saw them while they were in line themselves. (i put my comic's web address up in case you're wondering how they got ahold of me.)
a few days later, i went back and saw the doodle of me defaced. someone drew a phallus in the cartoon me's mouth. i was appalled and disgusted. *sigh* why can't people leave my stuff alone?
i did double check the cartoons at the same time and they were untouched. i guess people respect a comic more than a doodle, but then the portrait of leia was also untouched. hmmmm.

now, they have been erased.
at least no one can draw phalluses or mustaches on my stuff this way.
i'm just regret that i don't have pictures of all three panels of odile and amelia's adventures of waiting in line.
i do have one thanks to a fan who snapped a shot and e-mailed it to me. thanks, robin! i still owe her a sketch for that.
i need to find her e-mail and contact her.

No comments: